Hi all, here's a quick look at Transformers Masterpiece No.10 Optimus Prime version 2
Box measures roughly 14 x 14 x 6.5 Inches, box dimensions are exactly the same as MP09 Rodimus Prime.
Here’s something I’ve always wanted to see on high-end toy packages… graphic representation of the actual size of the toy inside without having to open anything. Takara read my mind. Lol.
Also interesting note on the outer shipping box, I guess Takara’s got a manufacturing plant up in Vietnam now? Hope it didn’t get hit in the bad flooding going on over there right now.
Prime is measures 9.5” Inches tall and is about 418 Grams heavy.
At first I was going to pass on this (lesser diecast, smaller scale, more pricey, fewer gimmicks as compared to the Mp01/04) but I wound up buying it for the sake of completing my Optimus Prime collection. I have to say, the design really grew on me. It looked great and the weight of the toy felt just right (as compared to the top-heavy Mp01/04). It captured the “ideal” look of Optimus Prime from the cartoons.
Check out these poses.
Gimmicks One-touch Transforming rifle
The downside is, with the rifle out, there’s a hole in Prime’s back.
New Ankle joint!
Autobot Matrix of Leadership (no light up gimmick)
Thankfully the Matrix shell is still diecast.
I didn’t take a pic but I’m fairly sure Spike is bigger than the little unpainted Dr.Arkaville figure that came with MP Starscream.
Trailer Cab mode
Trailer features. Opening tail gates and pullout ramp.
Rubber tires, but they’re missing any type of “logo”. The Mp01/04 had “Desert Dog” etched on the tires.
Front stabilizers (a bit hard to pull out, I had to use a flat screwdriver to wedge it out)
Side stabilizers (for Weapons platform mode)
“Seats” for humans
Rolling attack mode.
Repair Bay mode.
Storage for Rifle and Axe
Contrary to appearances, Roller actually only seats one figure, no shotgun riding for anyone else.
Roller can also “carry” Prime’s rifle.
Trailer hook-up mode for Roller.
Prime and his modules!
Now, as much as I love this toy, I have some issues with it.
-trailer halves just can’t seem to align on mine. I've seen some sites that also have this problem so I guess it's a general issue with the design?
-Be careful when opening the trailer halves, they seem a bit tough when you try to open them and the plastic does seem to feel a bit on the brittle side. Be especially careful when opening the tailgates and when folding the flaps down on the roof for the rolling attack mode. Very, very tough joints.
-Prime’s eyes - I wish they went with metallic finish just like the Mp01, instead, they used clear DARK plastic for the eyes, similar to Gundam kits (on a plus side, if you’re good with LEDs I’m sure you can customize something here).
-Lack of the wrist coms, I dunno, but I found that it was cool for the MP01 to have these on his forearms. Even if it was Starscream on one of the panels. Lol.
-Prime's fingers can't point straight. I tried it, ended up popping the first metacarpal from the finger. Good thing it was easily popped back in, but I'm not going to try that again. Just let it go up to where it can. There's no way to make it point straight.
-I had some trouble trying to get Prime's Trailer to properly lock into his legs in truck mode. It was easy with Roller but somehow Prime was harder.
-Diecast parts are only in the upper half of the feet, in Prime's "spine" and in the Matrix.
That’s about it, no real general negatives or anything (maybe the misaligned trailer halves, but I could just be doing something wrong there, not sure) but overall it’s a great version of Prime. It definitely feels more solid than the Mp09 Rodimus. If ever Hasbro makes a trailer-less one for a cheaper price I’m going to pick one up too. I really hope they make a proper version of Megatron next and maybe an Ultra Magnus with a real trailer too.
The feet are just fine. It gives him the proper equilibrium for his awesomesauce poses. The plastic too is just as good.
Btw Gold, may I also add some of my thoughts? Just picked up mine today.........
Instruction manual is black and white except the covers( MP-01 had color pics inside). Front cover has the card art while the back has a colored "Convoy" parade.
*A mix of defunct DW and MP-01 style. I like how Takara made his antenna longer like in the anime.
*His optics are blue, kind of wished it was a lighter color crystal type to accentuate its blueness.......maybe light piping? But that would have had ruined it.........
*His got a neck(like a Gundam) unlike MP-01, just a ball socket.
*Plastics. Well according to my eyes, they are a mix bag, some parts have different hues/types of plastics. For the body, chest and arms, etc ( The red parts that is. Sturdy looking too.)
* Matrix chamber is well aligned (no electronic gimmicks (which suits me just fine) not like MP-01. Matrix has more details (since I don't own Rodimus yet, I don't know if it is inter changeable) than MP-01.
* Die-cast? I am not quite sure if his back pack and ankle shins are metal (feels like it). Most probably his frame is die-cast.
* Back pack (reminds me of how DW's Pat Lee drew him,where Optimus kept his now "collapsible", ebony colored ion blaster) in it.
* Paint apps? I'm a bit O.C., in MP-01 and THS-02, his upper cab lights are painted, this one zilch! Maybe some would have been nice.
* Chrome? He's got oodles of it. Non adjustable smokestacks, 22 pack abs/grills, front bumper that also become part of the Matrix chamber and the two gas tanks on his thighs ( THS-02's turn into Gatling guns)
* Unlike MP-01 which utilized a gundamesque hip plates, Optimus uses one that looks like metallic speedoos ( closest analogy I can pick)
* No more moving thumbs. Takara stuck with static thumbs but articulated phalanges. Since it could not collapse the way MP-01 does, you now fit his over sized energon axe like a glove on his right fist( only his right fist.
* Just like THS-02 and MP-01,his knees are molded int gray ( though imho, could have been lighter to better highlight/distinguish it from his dark purple calves). And the venetian blind effect on his shins? No longer (similar to THS-02)
*His feet have been drastically redesigned (reminds me of the splitting of Macross Valkyries) and his pseudo back lights aren't colored red/yellow. Only a transparent crystal with line/cube patterns (THS-02 and MP-01 are colored)
* Roller/ Buggy. Finally, an official Roller but unlike awesome THS-02 version which you could adjust the wheels, MP-10's version looks like a simplified version (though you can retract a connection to allow it to pull the trailer)
Trailer is equally awesome, but it lacks the gimmicks(spring launcher effect of THS-02) seen in his smaller cousin. It has more detailed and intricate designs that reminded me of his first G1 version.
Btw, I haven't transformed him yet into truck cab mode so I'll leave it at that for now.
I hope the descriptions are help full in preparing you guys on what to expect.
Post by vagrantheart7 on Oct 30, 2011 9:34:51 GMT 8
fenrir72 - Thank you for a very detailed insight regarding the quality of the toy. I agree with Gold that this is one of the most anime accurate version of Prime we have so far. Plus, a former that actually has a neck is very well received in my book. Only problem would be the price for this guy. Thanks guys!
boris: WOW! wala ng tao ata dito
Sept 24, 2014 23:57:05 GMT 8
mechapunk: seems like it. a far cry when it was a fresh board in 2001. we started with just Malvin,me, omni x, and oliver. then it rose to about a hundred members, lurkers and the like. now it is a Ghost town.
Oct 2, 2014 19:49:27 GMT 8